Day 86- the best EVER out of 187 days!!!

Easter Sunday/March 23, 2008
A few months back, I was given some Fresh Tracks tickets from work.  Fresh Tracks is an early morning upload with breakfast buffet.  I woke the family up at 6am because I wanted to beat the crowd and get the best possible fresh runs.  Our college kid wasn't too happy with this idea (see pic below).

WB said 14cm fell overnight, no biggee.  When we got to the Roundhouse, conditions outside looked cold and miserable.  It was snowing so visibility was horrible, the wind was whipping so the idea of chairlifts seemed numbing.  I was excited to ride but even I didn't think I'd be able to bear the briskness of the chairlifts for too long today.  If I felt this way, you could imagine how Alli felt having to get up this early.  She still wasn't sold on the idea, even with the free breakfast.
When the bell rang signaling the open runs, we all had a change of heart.  We took our first run down Whiskey Jack (an easy green run) and there was fresh untracked snow up to our knees!  And this snow continued all the way down to the Emerald Chair.  Not to mention, we were the only people making tracks down this run.   Jolly Green Giant was next.  With wind drifts, some of the snow was close to waist high and again, we were making freshies all the way back to Emerald Chair.  Third time down we hit Ego Bowl and there were STILL fresh tracks to be made!! (normally by now, all the fresh snow has been hit)

Kevin had to head back to the village and he said he freshed all the way down Crabapple.  Alli and I stayed around Emerald Chair and literally made fresh tracks until 10am.... not to mention, there was no lift line to wait in.  We had the most incredible deep fresh snow I have ever experienced.  There was almost too much snow for the people who have never experienced fresh powder before.

Finally by 11am, the crowd had started to pour in and the snow was starting to get tracked.  As Alli and I were standing in the queue, it started to dump freezing rain on us.  But by the time we made it up the chair, the sun had come out and it was sunny for the rest of the day!!!

Peak Chair never opened, Symphony Chair never opened, and Harmony Chair didn't open until after noon.  We couldn't wait to hit more freshies over in Harmony so as soon as the lightboard signaled green for Harmony, we headed that way.  Seems everyone else had the same idea as we waited in line for about 40min.  The queue was insane!  By the time we got to the top, Alli was beat so she headed back to the village and I hit some of the pow (not as fresh as earlier) down Harmony.  I didn't much feel like waiting in the crazy line again so I headed back to Emerald Chair and took a run through the Mom and Pop trees.  By now it was after 2pm and I was toast.  The only downer about the day was that I didn't bring my powder board.  The best, most incredible, indescribable, powder day of all time and I didn't bring my pow board.  Go figure.

0 comments: