Shred Day 1 - Season Three

My alarm went off at 6:30am.  Four hours later I was strapping my bindings on and starting another season on the snow.  (You didn't think I got out of bed that early, did you?  I shut my alarm off and rolled back over!)  It turns out people started camping out around 3am in order to be the first up the mountain and by the time the gondola starting going around and around at 8am, the line up was through the maze and all the way back to Zog's.  I'm glad I went back to sleep!

Not much was open today: Gondola, Red Chair and Emerald.  There were plenty of fresh tracks to be found off the groomers but you had to watch out for the tops of trees and the occasional rocks.  Naturally the Peak was closed but about 20 die-hards hiked up Shale Chute and hit fresh down Shale (not an easy hike).  I found myself somewhere on G.S.  I fell trying to make my way through the tops of trees and then it was all over (so to speak).  Once you fall, good luck pulling yourself back out when the snow comes up to your waist!  I managed to make my way out, huffing and puffing and dripping with sweat.  Time for lunch.

Ran into a couple of guys I work with and took an hour lunch break.  One more run through the easy powder and my legs and feet were toast.  It wasn't the best conditions but by no means was it the worst conditions.  A successful opening day in my eyes.  Now it's time to get back to work!

3 comments:

Blondie said...

How does one pull themselves out of a waist-high snow pile?!? Were you alone? Could you have called for help if you needed to? Dangerous!!!

Congratulations on your First Day of Season Three!! Only 99 more to go! :)

Have you tried bringing nips to work with you? I won't tell! ;) It will help keep your toes warm!

Ronia Nash said...

Just step out of it. I was sort of alone and could have called for help but it was easy to get out of.

Happy Turkey Day!

Martini Cartwheels said...

I think I'm afraid of that "pond". I know my ass would end up in there somehow.