Day 2 | 214cm (7 feet!) in SE7EN days!!


Prior commitments have kept me from enjoying the endless fresh powder Whistler has been receiving for the past week.  Opening Day was a mere 4 days ago and the snowbase measured 100cm, today that snowbase is 193cm (75 inches)!  Whistler is on track for a record breaking November snowfall with another 140cm (4.5ft) in the forecast for the next four days!!!!

The parking lots were full but the liftlines were short.    I grabbed my good Burton board this time out as I couldn't find the right binding adjustment on opening day with my Prior board.  My Prior board is about 4 years old.  I call it my "rock board" and use it during early season conditions - if I run over a rock and damage the base because there isn't enough snow cover, I won't really care.  Anyhow, by noon my snowboard was strapped on and I was ready to ride.

First run was down Whiskey Jack with plenty of fresh pow to be found on the side of the run.  This green was groomed well down the center and it helped me get my balance and confidence back after a long off-season.  Instead of taking the Emerald Chair back up with the wind howling at my face, I decided to head down to mid-station for the comfy cozy gondola.  Below Emerald the snow was a bit more crusty, not bad but noticeably different.  I was hoping to find a ton of fresh powder under Olympic Chair.  I found some for the first 50 yards or so, but it quickly turned to ice with about 6inches of fresh snow on top, also known as dust on crust.  Not good.  I safely made my way to the gondola and headed back up.

Second run with through some trees and around Ego Bowl area.  So much fresh snow to be tracked.  Because there has been so much snowfall, the runs were a bit choppy but easy to maneuver through with the snow being so light and fluffy.  Ankles and calves burning, I made it back to Emerald Chair and headed up for another run.  As I mentioned in my first post, I've been working out 5 days a week for a month, and although those 800 squats and lunges helped my ass and quads, my calves and ankles were sore as hell.  Not to mention my right knee.  I froze my face off on the chair ride up and decided to ease back into the season slowly ....... I headed down for one last run.  I only rode for about an hour and a half.  I'm definitely still in summer mode and need to work my muscles into a daily routine slowly.  Luckily I have no more commitments and can ride every day until I start work in a week.

0 comments: