Day 3 | +51 centimeters


I woke up at 6:15am and Whistler Blackcomb's snow report read 51 centimeters (20 inches) of new snow!!  I had to be at Millenium Place for Return Staff Orientation at 10am.  I thought to myself:  "if I get on the gondola at 8:30am, I can take a few runs before I have to be at my meeting."  How often does it snow almost two feet overnight?

By 8am the parking lots were almost full and the lift line was already back to the ticket kiosk.  I ran into some ski school buddies and we got in line.  It took thirty five minutes to reach the gondola entrance.  By now it was 9:05am and I had a 10am meeting.  Another 20 minutes up to the Roundhouse and by the time I strap in, it's 9:30.  I thought:  "one run down to mid-station and then to the Orientation."

Naturally I brought my powder board with me.  It's a Prior Khyber and it's specifically designed for deep snow days!!  I hit the trees off Whiskey Jack into Ego Bowl  and the snow was so deep.  Even with my powder board, which is designed with a wide nose to float on top of the snow, I got stuck.  I was up to my knees in snow and had to wedge my way to a line already tracked earlier.  Ego Bowl was groomed with beautiful corduroy so I surfed in and out between the groomed run and the deep pow on the side.  It was a great run down to mid-station.

I downloaded and headed to my meeting.  At 10am, the lift line was still past Zogs.  It must have been the second wave, the crowd that slept in.  After two hours of sitting around listening to what is going to happen during the Olympics, I went back up for more epic runs.  There is a ton of snow up there and every day keeps getting better and better.

Tonight's forecast calls for another 25-35 centimeters!  Looks like another perfect day for the powder board!

0 comments: