Day 4 | Another 60 centimeters!!!!!!!!!!


Another 60cm (23 inches) of fresh snow has fallen again overnight!  This time I knew the lift line was going to be crazy so I decided to sleep in and take my time getting to the white stuff.  It was about 11am by the time I made my way to the Roundhouse.

Freezing levels had risen to about the Chic Pea.  I overheard people in the gondola saying the snow was thick and "muddy" not too far below Emerald Chair.  I decided to take a warm up lap down Whiskey Jack and found conditions past Chic Pea very disappointing.  The groomer was wet and packed but the fresh snow on the sides was amazing.  I made my way to the green chair where the lift line was past the fencing and since the temps were so warm, the footing was almost like a sheet of ice!

I headed up again and ventured off through the top section of the terrain park.   The features the park crew put in on opening day were completely buried.  Skiers left into Ego Bowl and there was plenty of fresh pow to be found.  You had to keep up your speed otherwise you'd get buried in waist high snow!  It was amazing how many runs were virtually untouched.  The reason for this was because the snow base is so high that if you don't get enough speed to keep your board moving on top of the snow, your nose gets buried and thus you are digging yourself out of .... well, waist high snow!!!


I saw a line off Ego Bowl towards Cougar and decided to go for it.  About halfway through, I felt my nose getting deeper and deeper until finally I was stuck!  Buried!  Once I dug my way out of there, I headed towards the bump zone besides Emerald Chair.  Once again, I saw a line and headed for it.  Not too far down I got a bit wobbly and oh crap!  Buried again!!  Dare I say it's almost as if there is too much snow...?   especially on the green sections of Whistler where the pitch isn't very steep.

Opening day's snow base was 100cm (39 inches).  A mere six days later, the snow base is 253cm (99 inches)!!!!!!!  Great news for Whistler and Whistler Tourism but for the guests it's going to make for a very crowded weekend, especially if they don't open Blackcomb.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

global warming....riiiiight ;-) At this rate the oly's will be a huge success! Keep an eye out for avalanche's...