Day 1 | A New Season - A New Chapter


Whistler Opening Day 2009-
Riders and skiers stood in line starting at 4am.  By 7am, the line had wrapped through the maze, around the ticket kiosk and went back to The Keg!!!!!  It was said it was a half hour wait from Citta's to the beginning of the maze.  Not too bad, that's sounds pretty quick if you knew how far that is.  By 11am, over 5,000 visitors had made their way up the Village Gondola.  Biggest opening day on record.

With a Snowbase of 100cm (just over 3ft), opening day was a huge success.  There was plenty of fresh powder to be found to go along with the green groomers.  I reached the top of the gondi by 11:30am. The lift lines were long but expected with only a few lifts open, but the snow was amazing!  It took me a couple of runs to get my "snow legs" back.  I was in wakeboard stance for the first half hour and caught myself leaning back a few times during the day.  When riding a snowboard, you want to have your weight evenly distributed over the center of the board.

I was surprised how sore and tired my legs were, especially considering I've done between 800 and 1000 squats and lunges every week for the past five weeks!!  I was happy I had been working out otherwise I would have been toast.  More on tap for tomorrow --- Day 1 of 100 is in the books!

 Here's the WB video link ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEy8FWQesD8

3 comments:

Martini Cartwheels said...

Sounds like a huge success! How are the temps? That's a very cool pic of the mountain!

Ronia Nash said...

Temps in the 20s!

Blondie said...

Congratulations Ronia!! I can only imagine how excited you must be to have WB open early! :)

Good luck on your new 100 Day Season!! The new blog looks awesome!!!

(P.S. I had a difficult time figuring out how to leave comments on your new blog.)