six six

At the end of my shift yesterday, someone told me to report to 10am training on Thursday instead of my regularly scheduled shift. Being the worker-bee that I am , I went to my desk job at 7:30am and put in a couple hours there before this so-called training. Keep in mind, I had no idea what the training was for, no idea if I should dress in uniform, bring my snowboard, helmet, etc. I can tell u I was hoping for a quick lazy day in a meeting room since my throat has been feeling like it's on fire for the last couple of days. But a nice fireside training session was not in my future for today.

Let me explain my riding level. I am a Level 4..... maybe a Level 5 snowboarder. I never realized there were so many technical aspects to snowboarding until I got to Whistler. My definition of snowboarding was to strap on my board and head to the "groomiest" blue runs. Up here: people snowboard on powder, double black diamonds, bowls, moguls, tree runs, runs you can hike to, virtually every kind of run you can think of..... including runs that aren't even on the trail maps!

You can imagine my surprise when I was told I was signed up for Basic Survival Training 3 (Day 66), ESPECIALLY when I never took a Basic Survival Training 2 course! I took BST 1. That was easy and was done on green runs. I assume BST 2 takes place on blue runs because BST 3 was on black runs!!! Not only was I heading to territory I was already intimidated by but I was heading with a few of my colleagues who are probably Level 12 riders!!!! I mean, one guy was riding half way up the side of a mountain and then jumping back down over the cliff! And here I was sideslipping my way down to my group who had already been waiting for me for about 5 minutes. It was kind of a humiliating day. My only hope is my boss still believes I am qualified enough to teach Level 1's and not a complete moron who has no business working in Snowboarding School.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah - can't believe you flaked out when I was offering to take you on those blacks, double-diamonds and shoots. Seems like you'll be back at the desk after being ousted by your snowboard school buddies. Nah - should be sweet - you know what they say "What's the difference between a beginner and a snowboard instructor? The introductory lesson." You'll be fine :)
Simon