Day 42 - coach life

No new snow overnight and the sun was shining all day as it was a cold blue bird day.  Snow base is currently at 158cm, which isn't much.  It is still quite bare underneath Garbanzo Chair.  We had around 25 kids signed up for snowboard lessons.  I was assigned level fives and made a big mistake today.

I signed in two kids who had been in lessons previously and they were strong level fives.  Just as I was leaving the Village, Lur signed in Torren, a level 3 Lil Ripper who was in my Club class last season.  I wasn't interested in spending a lot of time in the Park but I know both kids wanted to take some Park laps.  We ran a couple laps around Emerald trying to find some soft snow.  There were bits here and there off piste but nothing fantastic.  Then we took a lap in the Park where the boys wanted to hit some of the medium features.  I can't demo medium features in the Park, so I didn't allow the kids on the bigger side and they were pretty good on the small side.  Just as we were heading back to Emerald Chair, I saw Lur riding with Torren and I asked Lur if he wanted to switch classes because I wasn't comfortable taking the boys through the bigger side of the Park.  Lur was more than happy to switch.

I continued down to the CLC with Torren where we took a small break before it was time for lunch.  To make a long story short, after speaking with Gunner, an Instructor who normally takes levels five and six, he told me that level five kids aren't allowed to do the bigger features in the Park.  Level five riders are still learning how to do the small features.  I felt pretty stupid as I should have checked my manual about the rules on different levels and where they can ride.  Instead, I gave away a nice level five class who probably would have been fine searching for powder in Harmony and on Peak.  Oh well.  I had a nice afternoon with Torren as he could shred so I didn't spend the entire day on the carpets.

0 comments: