Day 19 - Pain Full

I bought a new powder board (Prior Khyber) this season and couldn't wait to try it out, especially with all the new snow we've been getting over the past few days. I got to Creekside and headed straight up. Once there, I realized I forgot my goggles and it was snowing pretty good. I ran down to the gondola (trying to block the snow from piercing my eyeballs) .... went to the village and grabbed an extra pair out of my locker. Then I had to wait in line about 15min at the Blackcomb gondola, another 15min in line at Excelerator. Rode down to Crystal Chair, another 15min in line. Great pow on Arthur's glades. Back to Excelerator - another 15min in line.
I was hoping to get into 7th Heaven since yesterday was the first day of the season that area opened up. But the winds were around 100Kph and everything in the alpine (on both Whistler and Blackcomb) was closed. So I found some good snow under the liftline. About halfway, a woman almost collided into me. She apologized and said " I have a hard time not running into people" - No worries. I continued down and three minutes later, this woman plowed into me from behind! Thank god I was wearing my helmet. I shook it off, told her to head to an easier run (as politely as I could) and went back to the Excelerator Chair. By the time I got back to the 15min wait at the lift, I decided to call it a day.
I parked at Creekside which meant I had a ways to go to get to my car. I downloaded the Blackcomb Gondola, stood in line at the Whistler gondola and headed up in order to come back down at the Creek. Because it was so windy, the Village Gondola was running at 3kph (vs. its normal 5kph). The difference in speed is a difference of an extra 15 minutes to the top and when you are packed into those gondolas like sardines, 15 more minutes feels like forever!! I couldn't take it anymore so I got out at midstation and walked to the Garbonzo Chair.
On top Garbonzo was like a blizzard! The wind was whipping snow everywhere. I headed for Creekside by way of Franz. All of a sudden: WHAM! from behind..... AGAIN! .... some kid plows into me and sends me flying on my head. I couldn't believe it. I literally wanted to cry.
I don't know how I did it, but I finally made it safely back to my car. I probably should have just stayed in bed today. I'm sure my neck is going to be super sore tomorrow. And there are a couple good chunks taken out of my new board. So much for keeping it looking nice.

Tis the season for lift lines. No thank you!

2 comments:

Martini Cartwheels said...

Hope your neck is feeling ok Ronia. Sounds like you got knocked around a bit. I didn't realize snowboarding was a full contact sport!

Ronia Nash said...

Tell me about it!