Day 15 - foiled again!!

A cold spell has reached the greater Vancouver area sending 6inches of snow to the city and arctic temperatures to Whistler.  Luckily, here in the Northwest, temperatures like these only last a few days to a week unlike the Northeast where sub-zero temps can last for over a month or longer.  In the Alpine, the temperature today was -22°C (or 7°F) with winds up to 80kph (50mph).  Needless to say, if we had too many instructors working today, I was volunteering to NOT have a class.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my job and I love working.  But working in single digit temperatures is brutal.... even when you're equipped with hand warmers and toe warmers, which I was.  Once all the snowboarders arrived at the CLC:   I was in luck...... there were only three classes (a level one class, a level three class, and one level 6 kid) and four instructors.  Sweet!  I was going home to keep warm on my couch.

Not so fast!  In order to have a Level 5/6 class, you have to be minimally certified as a Level 2 instructor.  Remember that certification class I took last year at the end of the season?  Since I was the only Level 2 instructor working, I had to take the one kid in the high level class.  Rats!  Foiled again!  I found it quite amusing and carried on with freezing my butt off all day.  It worked out in the end though ..... I ended up getting a tip from the kid's dad.   

0 comments: