Day 48 - sunny and freezing!

The sun has come to visit Whistler, bringing bright blue skies and cold cold temperatures.  I wasn't planning on doing too much riding today considering it was -11°C (12°F) at the Roundhouse.  All of my Club kids showed up and by the time we got through the queue to get up the gondola, we needed to go inside the CLC to warm up before we could snowboard.

We reached the top of the mountain around 10:30am and it was surprisingly "warm" in the sun.  The trails were soft packed and groomed.  A binding on one of the kid's boards was broken and we noticed it as soon as we exited the Roundhouse.  Luckily I have a student doing a mentor program working with me, so he took the girl back down the gondi and to the CLC to get it fixed.  The other kids and I hit the slopes.  Unfortunately, one girl fell and hurt her wrist at the bottom of the Olympic Chair run.  Patrol needed to be called and that took some time, only leaving us with a quick run to the Village before it was time for lunch.

After lunch we managed to squeeze in about 3-4 runs in the Emerald Zone, working on S-turns on green and blue runs.  It got a bit chilly once the sun went below the mountain and everything was in the shade but it wasn't too painful.  Of course I had hand warmers and toe warmers helping me keep warm all day.

0 comments: