Day 94 - Spanky's Ladder

Spanky's Ladder is a 15 meter bootpack that you must hike to access the Blackcomb Glacier Valley, home of the Gemstone Bowls of Garnet, Ruby, Diamond, and Sapphire (all single to triple black diamond runs on Blackcomb).  I've read and heard about the amazing powder in the glacier but I had yet to venture that way until now.  I was taking another level 2 prep course and, after lunch, my instructor decided to hit Spanky's Ladder to Ruby Bowl and Playland (my first double black diamond chute). 
As I stood on top of the chute, my heart was pounding and my hands were shaking.  I could have easily zig-zagged my way down but I was in a training class with my peers..... zig-zagging was not an option.  So I took the advice of the instructor, listened to her instruction and away I went.  Turning heelside was easy, it was the turning onto toeside that played with my mind.  This chute was steep.  In fact, it was the steepest run I have ever been on.  I took the chute one turn at a time, each time completing the toe side and saying to myself: "that was actually pretty easy."   Only to find myself scared to death once again when the next turn came along.
It was the perfect situation to be in having never been to this area of the mountain before:  guided through with an instructor who knew where to go and had the trust and confidence in me to push me past my comfort zone.  If you've never been there, words can't quite describe the terrain, steepness, snow conditions..... let's just say it was amazing and super scary at the same time. 

1 comments:

Martini Cartwheels said...

Way to go girl! That's awesome!