Day 108 - No More Work/Instructor of the Year

Dress up your instructor day.  LOL - Good sport!

April 17th and WB received 7cm of fresh snow overnight with another 7cm during the day.  Snowboard school lessons are dwindling as we only have 11 kids.  I took the three level three's and they were all from England and pretty cool.  I didn't do any teaching today as the top of the mountain was completely ungroomed and completely full of powder.  Unfortunately, by the time you hit Pig Alley, the soft light snow turned wet and by the time you reached the bottom of Emerald Chair, the snow was basically sludge.  

After noon, the conditions up top turned from light flurries to complete blizzard/white out!  It was cold, it was windy, it was snowing, and there was no visibility.  I thought this was suppose to be Spring?  My kids were freezing after we got out of the Marmot Trees so I decided to take them on the Peak to Peak as a time killer.  By the time we took the roundtrip to Blackcomb, it was then time to download the village gondola and get the kids home.  We didn't ride too much but the conditions were tough conditions, meaning the kids were all out of energy and couldn't continue to ride without injury even if we wanted to.  By the time we reached the village, the sun was shining, the music was ripping (Telus Ski and Snowboard Festival) and I was told today would be my last day.  I didn't complain since I just worked 12 days in a row.  I could use a couple days off .... err, the next 6 months off.  

On another note,  I was nominated as my pod's Snowboard Instructor of the Year.  Besides the recognition, the award comes with a nice photo/plaque (see pic) and a $50 gift certificate to a local sports shop.

 : )

3 comments:

Susan said...

Congratulations on your award! You could probably even teach me to snowboard. I would likely be your worst student ever, second only to the kid who peed in his snowsuit twice in one day. That kid is definitely the worst.

Linda said...

Congratulations on your award - very well deserved!

And LOL on the kid who peed in his snowsuit! Eww!

Martini Cartwheels said...

That's awesome! Congratulations Rizzo, you deserve it.