Day 69 - 35cm overnight

What a way to end my work week!  When I climbed up my stairs to meet the bus this morning, I was greeted with snow up to my knees.  It snowed a whopping 35cm overnight!  I wasn't expecting to be able to enjoy it as I assumed I was going to be assigned a low level class again.  But to my surprise I was given level four and one kid showed up.

As you would expect, the Village was crazy first thing in the morning with long queues.  I didn't need to waste any time "testing" my kid because he was in lessons yesterday and he was definitely a level four.  So we skipped the long line, and snuck onto the gondola around 9am.  By 9:30am we were strapping in and dropping into the powder off Ego Bowl.

Normally, a fourteen inch powder day will break a kid as soon as we drop off Whiskey Jack.  But not the kid I had today.  Every time I looked back, he was right behind me, surfing the powder like a Pro.  We took three long laps from Roundhouse to mid-station, hitting powder past our knees on every run.  It was so much fun as the snow was so light and fluffy.  The best snow we've had in a long long time.  I don't remember any day last season where the snow was this nice.

We took a half hour for lunch and by noon the Harmony Chair cracked so we headed over there via Rat Fink.  We took three different laps off Harmony and each lap was deep, mostly untouched powder.  We weren't allowed to ski trees so we stayed away from those but that didn't matter.  Because Harmony opened quite late, it hadn't been all tracked out yet.  For our last lap we hit the Saddle and although the snow was a tad chunky in the bowl, hardly anyone had hit it so it was virtually untouched.  Mostly fresh lines all the way down.  Gotta love it.  I was so glad I had a chance to shred with a kid who could actually shred some serious powder.  The conditions made it a good day, but the fact that I also got paid made it a great day!

0 comments: