Day 100 | exploring

This is the earliest I've completed the 100 day goal.  I still have another two weeks of work so this year I might have the most days in one season also.  I should have used my only day off from work to let my body get some rest, however, mother nature had other plans.  When Ullr  dumps almost 4 feet of snow (120cm) in the last seven days ... and when those days are at the end of March/beginning of April .... you don't rest.... you ride!!

My new BFF, Aimee, requested the day off but she had to report to duty with hopes of getting sent home after classes filled in.  I told her to text me if she didn't get a class and I would ride with her.  I was up early and waited around for the call.  Around 10am she was given the okay to go home so I jumped in the truck and headed to Whistler.

We knew the lift lines were going to be insane.  With the combination of it being Holy Week + it's a Saturday + 26cm overnight + all the snow earlier in the week, I'm sure the visitor count reached over 20,000.  Every lift had at least a 15 minute wait.  In fact, it took us about an hour just to reach the top of Jersey Cream.  By the time we got up there, 7th Heaven was open so we headed to the cat track and then ducked through some awesome trees before finally making it to the chair.  Once we reached the top of 7th, we headed for the back of the "pond" and found so much deep powder, fresh tracks, and awesome tree runs.

Aimee wanted to do some exploring so that's what we did.  Instead of getting back in the 7th Heaven lift line, we decided to explore the cat track out of there and ended up just below the terrain garden easy out track.  We dropped down into a black gladed run named Pruned Paradise just to get off the long cat track!  We then explored some trees in between Lower Gear Jammer and Upper Main Line.  It was here that we did most of our "exploring" since we had no idea where we were going and we had to keep traversing in order to stay out of the creek that ran through the middle of the tree line.

We ended up coming out at the top of the Tube Park.  We then hit Wizard Chair and bee-lined it to Crystal Chair.  I wanted to check out Fraggle Rock.  I had been there once before during my first season and I remembered having a tough time getting through that terrain.  Fraggle Rock is not located on the trail map but all the locals know where it is.  It's varied rocky terrain that is much like a natural terrain park.  Today it had plenty of powder in it.  During our exploring, we jetted off the tracked run into some fresh powder and we both launched ourselves off a pretty big drop that we didn't know was there.  Aimee found herself wrapped around a tree!!

We somehow managed to get back to civilization and we were ready for some food.  Unfortunately, it was already 3:30pm and the restaurants were closed.  We headed down from Glacier back to the village and called it a day.  I was exhausted.  The snow was amazing!  The lift lines were crazy.  We both could have used the day off from riding.  Aimee might have cracked a few ribs on that tree.  I'm going to be tired at work tomorrow.  But hell yea .. it was worth it.  And it was the best 100th day I've ever had!!

This drop .... (above)

... leads to Aimee wrapped up in a tree!



 

0 comments: