Day 110 | Spanky's

... and just like that, winter has ended and spring has arrived.  Temps have been warm as of late and freezing levels have been way above 2000 metres.  The awesome powder has turned to sticky glue.  Spring conditions are here!

I met Aimee around 10am and we headed up the village gondola.  I'm not sure exactly what we had planned for today but I brought the SLR since it was sunny and dry.  Aimee's friend Jordan popped out of the Roundhouse just as we were strapping in and we all headed down Whiskey Jack to see if Aimee's broken rib could handle a day on the slopes.

Needless to say, the pain killers were doing their job and by the time we reached green chair, Aimee felt ready to rock and roll.  So that's what we did.  We took a few runs through the Terrain Park.  First hitting the small side, then hitting the medium side, and finally, Aimee and Jordan hit the large side.  I took a few pics while Aimee launched off her first large jump and landed smooth and clean.

We jumped on the Peak 2 Peak and headed over to Glacier Chair.  We wanted to check out a couple of bowls up Spanky's Ladder.  I hadn't been to Spanky's for a few seasons and Jordan had never been.  We followed Aimee to Diamond Bowl, and although the snow was wet, it wasn't bad.  My only regret was that I didn't get in there on one of the many many powder days we had this season.  Too late now, but there is always next year.  I noticed a huge improvement on my riding skills since the last time I went down those chutes and instead of  being deathly afraid, I had no problems turning on the steep double blacks.  We hit the cat track back to Excelerator Chair, carefully avoiding avalanche debris in the middle of the road and headed to Rendevous for lunch.

After lunch I wanted to get back home, so Jordan took off and Aimee and I rode down Whistler for the final run of the day.


0 comments: