Day 18 - 22cm overnight again

How I envisioned my day to go today was nothing like how it actually went.  It snowed another 22cm overnight and I knew I was teaching my returning level three girl.  I was looking forward to shredding a bit of pow, even if was only in the Family Zone area.

With the overnight snow came high winds.  Gusting over 100km/hr on both mountains.  The Village Gondola was only uploading to Midstation until 9:30am.  No chairs higher than Excelerator opened on Blackcomb until after 11am.  Meg and I stepped out of the gondola around 9:45am.

The snow was weird.  The high winds were blowing all over the mountain.  Not just at the top.  Normally the wind blows down the hill, but today it was blowing up, down, sideways, diagonal, every which way.  Normally on high wind days, the snow is a bit "crusty"- hard but soft.  It usually disappears once you drop down onto a run.  But today, that snow lasted all the way down to Emerald Chair.  Weird.

My student was a bit out of it today too.  Yesterday she finished as a strong level three turning down everything green.  This morning, she wasn't even trying to turn.  I told her numerous times I needed her to turn but she slowly zig zagged.  I was a bit annoyed.  She told me she wasn't feeling well so I gave her the option to go home after lunch and she took me up on it.

Jon had five level two kids and one was turning confidently.  So instead of leaving at noon, I ended up teaching him for the rest of the afternoon.  He was pretty good and by the afternoon, the snow was chopped up enough where it was soft packed.  We finished on the jump at the CLC.

0 comments: