Day 29 - Powder Supply

I had a return kid coming into Snow School today. His dad emailed me a few weeks ago and asked if I could be his Instructor again. I've been teaching Andrei since he was five and now he is eight. He is a high level three so I knew I would be getting a riding level today.

By early morning, my class card was full with six level threes.   Most of the kids have been here for the majority of the week. We headed up to the CLC for photos and to plan out the day. It was snowing like crazy and winds were gusting up to 100km/hr at Roundhouse level. 

Once all the riders were checked in, we had fourteen kids between three Instructors in levels three and four. Since we had early lunch (again!) we decided to take a couple laps from mid station to the Village as one big group. After lunch we split into teams: Jake taking the threes while Meghan and I shared eight level fours. 

Did I mention it snowed like crazy all day?  The powder was amazing. Light and fluffy and good all the way to the Village. High winds or not, we decided we couldn't keep level fours from riding the whole mountain so we headed up the gondola. Boy were we in for a shock when we exited our cabin. We knew it was windy but we had no idea how windy. I have never experienced such high winds up there. I couldn't even put my board on the ground without fear of it blowing away. One of the kids was crying because he was so scared.

We managed to meander our way down Whiskey Jack onto Banana Peel towards Dave Murray and Tokum. I'm not going to lie, the snow was awesome but the wind was brutal. We eventually made it back to the CLC and had some hot chocolate. The gondola wasn't running by this point so we spent the rest of the afternoon on the jump that Morgan made.   The kids didn't seem to mind. At three o clock we rode to the village to finish the day.

0 comments: