Day 39 | schools



I hit the snooze button one too many times this morning, resulting in me being about 15 minutes late for work.  Consequently I didn't get a Whistler Kids class and I was sent over to Schools on Blackcomb at Base II.

The Schools Program has students (teens) from all over the Fraser Valley bussing up to Blackcomb for lessons one day a week, usually every other week and lasting for about three months.  Working Schools is a zoo.  It is not uncommon to have over 500 students in one day and it is not uncommon to have nine or ten even thirteen or fourteen kids in your class.  It is just crazy chaos, yet somehow the chaos is controlled enough to run the program year after year after year.

The instructors who work Schools ... love it!  The instructors who don't work Schools ... hate it!  Me included.  When I started as an Instructor, I was teaching in the Schools Pod.  I didn't know any better so I thought it was the best gig on the planet.  Now that I've been in Whistler Kids for a few years, I hate being at Schools.

Today was just as much as a zoo as ever.  There were many beginner skier and snowboarders so the bunny hill from Base II down to the Magic Chair was insane.  There were kids skiing into each other, one snowboarder took out one of the 3 year old Mini's, kids boots were completely untied and they're trying to snowboard down the hill.  It was madness.  The only good thing about it was that my class needed to be back for 3pm so my day was finished close to that.  Oh and instructors get a $12 lunch voucher so instead of having a grill cheese or hot dog for lunch, I got to have a tasty chicken sandwich with fries and a diet coke.  

0 comments: