Day 48 | wet and powdery


Next to the last week for my WESP kids and I was unmotivated to work this AM.  When I got to Creekside and it was pouring rain, I doubled that unmotivation.  By the time my kids and I reached the CLC, I was wet, hungry, tired and grouchy.  I had no idea what we should do for the day.  It was snowing at the CLC but raining shortly below it.  After standing on the Magic Carpet for a half an hour, I decided to take the kids down to the valley and then head in for lunch.

My original plan was to take the kids up to the Roundhouse for the afternoon.  Since this was their third week ever snowboarding, I figured it would take them at least an hour and a half to get back down to mid-mountain.  The weather report for the Alpine during lunch was that the snow was amazing to Emerald Chair and then really hard and wet down Olympic.  The powder sounded great but the troubling part was the gusting winds up to 100kph and the advice to not get on the Emerald Chair because of the winds being so strong, making for a seriously cold chair ride up.

I decided to brave the elements and head for the powder.  Once my kids hit Whiskey Jack below the Peak to Peak Gondola, they were loving life!!!  The snow was amazing.  None of them are skiers so it was their first time snowboarding in such amazing conditions.  Every time we stood up to ride, they were all yelling, chanting, and screaming how awesome it was!  Its fun to teach kids who get that excited and really know how to show it.  I underestimated them as well, thinking it would take them forever and day to get anywhere but their riding was really fast.  Fast enough to take a second lap down Ego Bowl and enjoy more of the powder.

By the time we reached the CLC, they were all exhausted and super stoked on snowboarding.  Their parents are probably thanking me right now:  it's 7:30pm and I would bet money they are all close to falling asleep!

0 comments: