Day 114 | Percy's

I haven't had a freeride day since March 26th.  As you know, I'm pretty much over the cold weather / snowboarding thing.  But I recognize there are still another two weeks of snow before I hit the beach and the sunshine so I should enjoy some Spring skiing before I leave.

I was scheduled to work but Morgan was nice enough to cover for me so I could spend the day with Aimee and Maddie and Oscar Percy.  They are kids from Oz who were with Aimee last season in Whistler Kids and their parents hired Aimee to spend two weeks with them as they holiday in Whistler again this year.  I spent a lot of time with them as well last season and since today was their last day in Whistler, I wanted to ride with them at least once before they left.

It's the first day of the Telus Fest and the sun was shining!  Not to mention, the snow is amazing for April.  The conditions are like February (middle of winter) - not to mention, with all the fresh snow, you can still find some fresh tracks.  Needless to say, the day was going to be amazing!

Maddie wanted to hike up Spanky's Ladder so we did that right out of the gate.  From the Glacier Chair you could see a line of people hiking up like an army of ants.  We decided to hit Ruby Bowl since it was something we knew the kids could get down.  The snow up there was amazing!  It's so hard to believe that it's actually April.  After Spanky's, we hit the Glacier Creek for lunch.

We then decided to cat track over to 7th Heaven and head over to Couloir Extreme, a double black diamond which is one of the top ten steep in-bounds runs in the world according to Skiing Magazine.  The snow down there was soft and although we didn't get freshies, the run down was still very nice.  It's awesome to check that popular run off my list.

The kids wanted to hit the Terrain Garden, then ride down to the Village and go up Whistler.  So that's what we did.  We met up with Pip and Jordan for a quick run through the Whistler Park.  We then made our way back down to the Village for a much needed smoothie.  I said my good-bye's to the kids and came home to rest up for another day of work tomorrow.


0 comments: