Day 19 | SNOW!!! (finally)


10cm of fresh light powder fell overnight.  It was heaven sent and very badly needed.  It's amazing how it doesn't take much snow to change the conditions from horrible to wonderful!

Today was one of those crazy days that started off with an out of control snowboarder crashing into the back of my 10 year old level three rider.  She was bruised pretty bad considering he was out of control at a high rate of speed.  I called patrol and she was done for the day.  I felt really bad for her and I hope she returns tomorrow.  Calling patrol is always a hassle as it takes a long time for someone to get to the scene.  In the meantime, you have to keep the other kids in the group, who aren't injured, to sit in the snow and be patient while help arrives for the injured party.  This can sometimes take up to hour for the entire process depending on where you are on the mountain.

After lunch we had a bit of a better day heading up to the Alpine where my remaining level three riders enjoyed some powdery conditions.   I found a few fresh tracks off the sides of runs and the snow was deep in some spots.  We ran from the Roundhouse down to the Village via Whiskey Jack, Jimmy's Joker, Expressway, Crabapple, and Northern Lights.  After that we practiced our board slides on the box that the ETC team set up outside the CLC.

My day ended on the same note as it started.  One of my kids decided to take it upon himself to ride from the CLC down to the Village on his own.  When I told him we were heading down, he snowboarded from the handle tow, past the CLC building and just kept on going down Lower Olympic.  When he passed other Instructors who questioned him about being without an Instructor, he simply told them that I told him to go down.  Needless to say I didn't tell him that but whatever.  I met back up with him at the checkout point and I told my Supervisor I wasn't going to take him in class anymore this week.





0 comments: