Day 87 | spring

What a gorgeous first day of spring.  There was a bit of an inversion, so in the morning the Alpine temperature was +2 and the village temperature was -2.  No worries since the sun was shining.  I was given the option of taking a small level three class but for some unknown reason, I decided to go with the never-ever class of eleven!  It has been a long time since I taught never-ever's and I thought spending the day on the Magic Carpet and in the sun would be fun.  Fi Roy also helped with the class since eleven is too many kids for one instructor to handle.  (Notice how excited she is in the picture!)

The morning "ice" on the bunny hill was wretched and made for punishing conditions for kids who never strapped on a snowboard before.  One seven year old was so frightened, he faked a knee injury so he could go home.  I didn't fall for that and I made him stay for the entire day.  : )
The kids handled the conditions pretty well and by noon, most of them could side slip on their heels.  After lunch Fi and I decided to be daring and we brought ten kids over to the Olympic Chair.  We knew about half of them could control themselves enough to ride with the general population.  The few who couldn't quite side slip, made their way down mostly going every which way and mostly on their butt.  Luckily there were no incidents of collisions.

At the end of the run, I took the four kids who couldn't cut it back to the CLC where I built a small jump for them to play on for the rest of the day.  The others took another lap on Olympic Chair with Fi.  One kid from Hawaii picked it up very quickly and basically taught himself how to turn.  He's coming back for Adventure Camp on Monday and I told his mom I would be taking him in my class for next week.  Sweet!

All in all it was a pretty good day.  Mostly because of the weather.  But it reminded me why I leave the lower level classes to the rookies  .....  way too much babysitting .... ugh!

Sarah Recoskie - Supervisor

Omer Dagan - Supervisor

0 comments: