Day 27 | red and yellow lightboard

35cm / 12 inches of fresh snow fell about 1200m in Whistler  Blackcomb last night.  I was hoping to get my class to the Roundhouse today but that plan never happened.  It was pouring rain in the village when the kids checked into lessons.  It was also gusting winds up to 125kph up top on the ridge line.  Avalanche control didn't clear Red Chair until well after 9am.  The gondola was running at 3mps which mean it took about 35 minutes to reach the Roundhouse.  And because AC hadn't cleared anything until late, the lift line on the gondola was huge and each cabin was packed to ten until close to noon.

It was snowing huge wet flakes at the CLC.  But because it was windy and the gondi cabins were packed, there were only a couple options my class had.  Braving the wind on Garbanzo Chair was not an option.  Getting back on the gondola was not an option because we would only make it down to Emerald Chair and I wasn't going to sit on Emerald Chair in the wind just to download back on the gondi.  There was no way my heavy kid would make it from the Roundhouse to the CLC.  We couldn't go down to the village because it was raining most of the way down and the gondola lift line was too long.  That left us with two choices: Magic Carpet or Olympic Chair.  Joy!

I couldn't have the kids spend the day on the Magic Carpet so we hit the Olympic Chair.  It took approximately 24 minutes to get from the bottom of the chair to the top.  By that time, we were all soaking wet.  I killed as much time as I could in the CLC before taking first run, so after that Olympic run, we went right back to the CLC to get in line for lunch.

By this time, we were all soaked.  I took as much time in the lunchroom as possible before heading back to the Olympic Chair for two more runs.  Then inside for report cards and then download to go home.  Wasn't expecting much in the way of tips but I was pleasantly surprised with $70 from two parents.  Merry Christmas Eve to me.


0 comments: