Day 81 | high winds close Whistler



More snow fell overnight and more snow fell during the day.  I was told I'd be teaching my return level threes.  I knew the forecast called for high gusting winds in the Alpine so I opted to give up the threes for a Lil Ripper, thus keeping me close to home (the CLC) and out of the crappy weather.   There were three Lil Rippers and Morgan took the other two.

The winds were suppose to reach 100kph by late morning and by 11am, Operations had closed the Emerald Chair and Red Chair leaving only the Village Gondola open.  But by noon, they had closed the upper line of that too.

We took the Rippers over to the Super Carpet in the morning.  There was so much powder that the only thing they could do was straight line down the run.  Morgan and I chased after them, picked them up when they fell, and put them back on the carpet to do it again and again.  The afternoon was a bit more laid back with lots of coloring after lunch.

Some people, including some Minis,  got stranded at the top of the mountain and had to be brought down in Cats.  Two Cats dropped off a full cab at mid-station.  I don't know the complete story there.  Assuming the winds were so blinding that people didn't feel comfortable skiing down.


2 comments:

Susan C said...

Those kids are too cute!

Ronia Nash said...

yea the little ones are pretty cute in all their gear!